If you are thinking of bathroom remodeling and want one of a kind luxury shower, Onyx is definitely a great option.
Before making the decision on onyx showers or any material, it’s very important to understand every detail of the material.
In this article: Pros and Cons of Onyx Showers, I will discuss everything you need to know.
When you are done reading, you will be able to decide if this is the way to for your luxury shower.
Let’s get started….
Important: On this website, I feature a select number of partners and companies that have products that could help my audience. As an Amazon associate, When you purchase something through my partner links, I might get paid for the referral at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
This post is about Pros and Cons of Onyx Showers
What is Onyx?
As per Encyclopedia Britannica, Onyx is a striped semi-precious stone.
It is known for its bands and swirls of alternating color.
For sure, It is a breathtaking natural stone
Historically Onyx has been used to make jewelry since the ancient times.
In the modern world, it has been used now for countertops, wall art and showers.
The bands of Onyx are can be found in different colors. Here are the variety of colors :
Black onyx, brown onyx , yellow onyx, blue onyx and white onyx
These bands and color combinations create beautiful patterns which makes Onyx stone a popular choice for modern bathrooms.
Understanding Onyx Showers
Onyx showers are really beautiful and have a unique appearance.
Since Onyx slabs show swirling patterns in beautiful colors, I can say that every onyx shower is a dream bathroom.
You can also find Onyx showers made from a combination of polyester resin and alumina trihydrate fillers, which provide a smooth and elegant finish, similar to the natural stone it’s named after.
You can use this luxurious stone for :
Onyx Shower Pans/Bases:
- The shower floor is often called shower pan.
- Onyx shower bases come in a variety of shapes and sizes, to fit different bathroom layouts.
- They are available in standard sizes, but can also be custom made to fit unique spaces.
Onyx Shower Walls:
- Onyx shower walls are the vertical surfaces surrounding the shower base.
- Interior design shower room projects that want to use the most beautiful natural stones, use onyx to create a focal point.
Onyx collection comes in several different patterns and colors, allowing for customization to fit personal style and bathroom decor of the stone shower.
shower wall panels can be ordered in large single sheets to reduce the number of seams which means less grout lines.
This not only adds to the aesthetic appeal but also decreases the chance of leaks.
The ease of installation makes it a popular choice for DIY enthusiasts for the bathroom remodel.
Onyx Shower Panels:
- These are similar to Onyx shower walls, but they’re often used to create an accent wall outside the immediate shower area for a cohesive look.
- They come in a variety of colors and patterns, offering plenty of options to create a customized, high-end look.
The Pros of Onyx Shower:
- Onyx surface can be used to create breathtaking focal point in bathrooms and showers.
- They offer unique beauty similar to natural stone options.
- Every Onyx shower shows off a touch of luxury.
- They are available in variety of color options and patterns.
Because of this reason, no matter what design style you are wanting for your shower renovation, you will be able to compliment it with Onyx.
Ease of Installation:
- Compared to traditional shower wall materials like tile, Onyx shower installations are relatively easy to install.
- There are also complete unit options available, which include coordinated shower accessories like shower bases, walls, and panels, taking the guesswork out of the design process.
- This can reduce you labor costs as compared to tile materials, if you are a DIYer
- Despite their elegant appearance, Onyx showers are remarkably durable.
- The material is hard and resistant to damage, making it a perfect choice for bathrooms that get a lot of use.
The added benefit is that scratches or minor damages can often be buffed out, restoring the surface to its original beauty.
Many Onyx products come with a lifetime warranty against leakage, showing the manufacturer’s confidence in the product’s quality.
This will provide you with peace of mind knowing your investment is protected.
- Onyx showers are non-porous, making them resistant to stains, mildew, and mold.
- This is a great advantage if you compare them to natural materials that often are porous stone.
- They are also easy to clean, requiring only non-abrasive cleaners, and can be restored to their original luster even after years of use.
Onyx slabs can backlight. Because of this onyx countertops are a popular choice for bar countertops.
The Cons of Onyx Shower:
- Onyx is a high-end material, and hence, the upfront costs of onyx showers would be on the higher side.
Special Cleaners Required:
- Onyx showers can get damaged if not maintained properly.
- You will need to use non abrasive cleaners.
- Using abrasive or harsh cleaners can scratch or dull the surface.
- Also, Onyx showers should be protected from acidic liquids, which can etch or discolor the surface.
- Onyx showers need regular maintenance to keep them looking their best.
- Like tile showers, they do need frequent cleaning to prevent soap scum build-up and periodic buffing to restore shine and remove minor scratches.
- You will need to use special stone cleaner.
Effect of Hard Water:
- Hard water can leave mineral deposits on the Onyx surface that may require additional cleaning efforts to remove.
- Over time, this can make maintenance more demanding and potentially affect the appearance of the shower.
- one of the cons of the onyx shower is that it will require frequent maintenance if the shower is used a lot.
In order to fix any scratches or minor damages Onyx shower pros are required.
Comparing Onyx with Other Materials
Lets compare onyx to other materials :
Onyx vs Solid Surface Material:
- Solid surface materials, such as Corian, are another popular choice for showers due to their durability and variety of color and design options.
- While both materials are durable, solid surface materials might be a bit more resistant to scratches, and any damage can usually be seamlessly repaired.
- However, Onyx often has a more luxurious look, closely resembling natural stone.
Onyx vs Ceramic Tile:
- Ceramic tiles are widely used due to their affordability and range of designs.
- Unlike Onyx, they can be quite labor-intensive to install due to the need for grouting and sealing, and they also require more maintenance as grout can discolor and mold over time.
- In contrast, Onyx panels are grout-free, making them easier to clean and maintain.
- However, if a tile cracks or breaks, you can replace just that tile, while damage to an Onyx panel might require replacing the entire panel.
Onyx vs Porcelain Tile:
- Porcelain tiles are known for their durability and resistance to moisture, making them an excellent choice for showers.
- However, like ceramic tiles, they can be labor-intensive to install and grout can discolor and mold over time. Onyx offers similar durability with less maintenance.
Installing an Onyx Shower
Installing an Onyx shower, while a bit labor-intensive, is a straightforward process that you can tackle if you are a DIY enthusiast.
Here’s a basic step-by-step guide for installing an Onyx shower, including the shower base (pan) and wall panel system.
NOTE: Always check with your product’s specific installation instructions before starting.
This guide is intended as a general overview, and specific steps may vary depending on the product you have.
- Measuring tape
- Silicone caulk
- Adhesive (as recommended by the Onyx manufacturer)
- Screws (as needed)
1. Measure Your Space:Measure the height, width, and depth of your shower space to ensure your Onyx products will fit correctly. Double-check your measurements to avoid any errors.
2. Install the Shower Base (Pan):
- Prepare the floor: Ensure the floor is level and clean. If needed, use a leveling compound to create a flat surface.
- Place the base: Position the shower base in the designated spot. Ensure it is level by checking it with a spirit level.
- Secure the base: Once it’s level, secure the base according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This typically involves attaching it to the wall studs with screws.
3. Install the Onyx Wall Panels:
- Prepare the walls: Clean the walls to ensure they’re free of dust or debris. They should be flat and solid to support the Onyx panels.
- Dry-fit the panels: Before applying adhesive, place the panels on the wall to ensure they fit properly. Trim or adjust the panels if necessary.
- Apply adhesive: Once they fit correctly, apply the adhesive recommended by the Onyx manufacturer to the back of the panel.
- Place the panel: Position the panel on the wall and press firmly. Repeat this process with the other panels, ensuring they fit together correctly.
4. Handle Grout Lines:Onyx showers are often grout-free, but if your design includes any panels or accents that create grout lines, you’ll want to use a color-coordinated non-sanded grout or 100% silicone to fill these.
5. Seal the Corners and Edges:Apply a bead of 100% silicone caulk along all edges and corners where the panels meet the shower base and each other, creating a watertight seal.
6. Install Shower Fixtures:Finally, install your shower fixtures according to the manufacturer’s instructions, ensuring they are sealed correctly to prevent any water leaks.
Remember, installing a shower involves plumbing, which can lead to serious problems if not done correctly.
If you’re ever unsure about any step in the process, it’s best to consult a professional to avoid any potential issues down the line.
Caring for Your Onyx Shower:
Regular Maintenance:Regular cleaning is key to maintaining the look of your Onyx shower. Here are some steps to follow:
Weekly Cleaning: Use a non-abrasive cleaner to gently clean the surfaces of the Onyx shower. A soft cloth or non-scratch sponge is ideal for this task.
Special Stone Cleaner: There are plenty of stone cleaners available on the market that are specifically designed to clean without damaging the surface.
Warm/Hot Water:Warm or hot water can be used when cleaning your Onyx shower, but avoid using boiling water as extreme temperatures could potentially cause damage.
Warm water can help to loosen any soap scum or residues, making them easier to clean.
Is Onyx a Good Material for Showers?
Yes, onyx is a good material for showers due to its durability, low maintenance, and aesthetic appeal. However, it’s slightly more expensive than some other materials.
How do I maintain an onyx shower?
Onyx showers are easy to clean. Use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth. Avoid harsh chemicals that could damage the surface.
Do Onyx Showers Discolor Over Time?
With proper care and regular sealing, onyx showers should not discolor significantly over time.